Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thankful Thursday



"Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back. You're done. It doesn't necessarily mean that you want to have lunch with the person. If you keep hitting back, you stay trapped in the nightmare..." Anne Lamott

I've learned that there are little things that help life run smooth.....things that make it easier....freer. Like forgiving someone who hurts me.....or takes something away that was important to me. 

But the thing is....at some point it stops being about them and becomes more about me and how I move in the world. 

Forgiving  - it's the key to unlock the chain of anger and frustration and hate. Forgiving gives me that  relief and helps pushe me to move forward. This week thankful for....

-gift of forgiveness. It's a powerful weapon that gives incredible peace
-the ability to forgive all those people ever hurt me...No one can take anything from me unless I allow them. Sure they can take physical things but not the most important...not my heart...or hope or faith.
-Choices.....I get to choose or not to let go of anything that keeps me weighted down. No one can force me...I alone have the power!
-amazing people who tell me their stories and who inspire me to reach for my best and make healthier choices. Their courage to tell pumps me with courage too and reminds me I'm not the only one. Those are the bravest kindness people ever.
-And the best....He forgives me for everything. I've blown it so many times.....and yet His love is constant. Always there. Always with arms wide open. I want to be like Him. I want to live my life arms wide open....forgiving....letting go and free and loving.

13 comments:

Connie said...

I have always believed that practicing forgiveness is much more for our own sake than it is for the one being forgiven. Anger is a heavy weight to carry around. Great post! Hope you have a good day. :)

Crown of Beauty said...

Forgiveness opens the door to let the prison go free, and then you realize that the prisoner was you!

Beautiful thoughts, Nikki. I have learned this lesson the hard way. But it is so liberating to be able to practice forgiveness regularly.

Blessings
Lidia

Finding Pam said...

It took me a long time to understand forgiveness. It allowed me to move forward in my life. It saddens me when I see someone that can't forgive. Just as God forgives us, we forgive others.

Thanks for this inspiring post today.

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful post Nikki! Love the picture as well. Hugs.

Sharon said...

Forgiveness is a wonderful gift - both to the one who gets forgiven, and to the one who does the forgiving.

I have both given and received forgiveness - there are few things in life that come closer to the heart of God than that...

GOD BLESS!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Nikki,
Forgiveness- who would we be without it? I am so thankful I am forgiven!

Thank you for your visit my friend. You always brighten my day when you stop by. Have a super weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

this is a good reminder to practice forgiveness...makes life easier

Just Be Real said...

Nikki, had to come back for another visit and see those adorable birds. Blessings my friend.

Nana Jul said...

Forgiveness...it's a hard concept to wrap our minds around...it's contrary to how we want to think...But it's exactly what it takes to be free. Learning to forgive quickly and not letting the hurt or anger get a grip on us is what we need to practice!
Great post Nikki!
Love,
Julie

Anna said...

So true! Love this post, it's hard but an amazing feeling when we choose to forgive and move forward.

Wanda said...

What a freeing gift forgiveness truly is Nikki. Love the words you shared.

RCUBEs said...

I had a hard time leaving a comment the other day. I hope this goes through. Forgiveness...what a liberating feeling..."for us" because like what you said, in reality, we're hurting no one but ourselves whenever we choose to not forgive. May we always have the courage and the strength to do so whenever someone offends us. By His grace...Blessings to you sister.

A Mother Always said...

Because I can't seem to control my irritation around a senior collegue at work, I think to myself I shall just try to avoid being in her presence as much as possible to reduce negative thoughts. I suppose it's a strategy of keep the devil at bay until I can forget or forgive.

God Bless you with his peace.

BM